Breakfast- it’s the meal I can never bring myself to skip. So why not make it filling and nutritious? I have finally found an alternative to my crippling $6.50 addiction of Carman’s muesli. Making my own. From scratch. So, without any further ado- here is my quick 20 minute recipe for homemade (and seriously satisfying) granola.
You will need:
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 4 tbsp of honey
- 3 generous tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of cacao powder
- A handful of nuts of your choice (I went with almonds, peanuts and walnuts)
- A handful of pepita/sunflower seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 170c and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Grab the first three ingredients (honey, coconut oil and vanilla). Place these into a small pot, and stir on low heat until melted.
3. Take a mixing bowl, and place the remaining ingredients (oats, etc) and mix in a bowl until the ingredients are brown in colour.
4. Add the mixture of honey, coconut oil and vanilla to the bowl of oats until a thick/sticky consistency is achieved.
5. Take your baking trays, and evenly spread your granola mix into a thin layer. (Although you can clump a few pieces to create clusters for an extra crunch). Take a wooden spoon and regularly stir the granola whilst it is toasting in the oven.
6. Bake until the granola is golden brown in colour. Once you are satisfied with the texture/colour, take the trays out and leave to cool. You can then grab any jar or container of your choice, and fill with granola.